Compassion International ~ You can help too!

I support Compassion's Christian child charity. You can too. Sponsor a child today.

What I do ~ And how you can too!

Welcome, I am so glad you are here :-) My name is Angel Kennedy, AKA "LittleMsCoupons". I am currently feeding my family of 4 on $150.00 a month (which includes all health/beauty and households products too). We offer classes that can help you learn biblical principles for getting your family out of debt while teaching you how to shop on a budget and become good stewards of all God's blessings! Experience a Faithful & Frugal revolution in your household...contact us today.
Happy Shopping, Little Ms. Coupons

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Cooking 101 ~ Cheap Chicken ~ Part 3

Welcome to part 3 of the cheap chicken series! This post shows what I did with some of those chicken breasts that I got on super sale. I'm only posting one recipe, as I froze most of the chicken for later use...but I wanted to give you an idea of how to create a no fuss, super simple and most importantly...a cost effective (AKA cheap) meal.


BTW if you missed part 1 or part 2 of this series, be sure to check them out too!


Remember the all natural chicken breasts that I got at Target for $1.50 a pack? Well, there were 3-4 breasts in each pack so for this recipe I used 2 packs.


This is another crockpot recipe, love those...it's called Paula Deen's Busy Day Chicken and man was it good!!! Anything Paula cooks is good and surprisingly enough there was no butter in this recipe, I'm sure Paula could find a way to add some in though ;-) LOL


Paula Deen's Busy Day Chicken
3 pounds chicken (I used boneless skinless breasts)
1 envelope of onion soup mix (2 oz.)
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 can plain tomato sauce (15 oz.)


Place the chicken in the crockpot and sprinkle evenly with onion soup mix and brown sugar. Pour the tomato sauce over all. Cook either way below...


In a skillet ~ Turn the heat on medium high and cook until the mixture just starts to bubble around the edges, then turn down the heat to medium low and cover. Cook for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is done.


In a crockpot ~ Cover and cook on low for 4 hours OR high for 2 hours.


*If you are feeding a crowd, you can use one can of tomato sauce and 2 tbsp. brown sugar for every 3 lbs of chicken...do not increase the onion soup mix. Cooking times should be about the same, but may vary slightly. You can find this recipe on FoodNetwork.com


Here's how mine was done...
I did not have any plain onion soup mix...but I did have the onion mushroom...mmm, it was still perfect! And that's my FREE after coupon Muir Glen organic tomato sauce :-)Just put your chicken in the crockpot laying evenly across pot.Top off as directed in the recipe and your pot should look like the picture below. That's it...now just cover and walk away...I cooked mine for 2 hours on high and it was perfectly done. This made 2 meals for us.To serve this meal...either serve the chicken over egg noodles or rice and add some veggies and a salad on the side...simple!


And because I tend to get pasta and rice for $0.50 or less after coupons and frozen veggies are typically $0.50 or less (sometimes FREE)...this makes a really inexpensive meal for a family...Gotta love that!

No comments:

Copyright © 2009 Angel Kennedy/Faithful & Frugal. All rights reserved. Permission to reprint required.
If you would like to post information found on this website to your own blog, please be sure to include a link back to Faithful & Frugal.